4/3/12

Lauren Lanmon

Renting an apartment -- as many students do -- means taking responsibility. Renters have to make sure they pay their bills on time and keep food in the pantry. But part of the responsibility -- one they don't often consider -- is just staying out of harm's way. As Lauren Lanmon reports in this Bobcat Update, living in an apartment can be safe and enjoyable, but students have to take precautions to avoid being victimized.

Living in a college town, it's important to keep track of those who live around you. Be observant. Take note of activities out of the norm. San Marcos resident Chelsie Surley says she once witnessed an attempted burglary take place.
SB: Chelsie Surley: "When I was headed to work I saw a guy that didn't belong, so I ran back up to my roommates and called the cops."
The cops arrested the suspect and no one was harmed, but cases like this should be a reminder of the importance of apartment safety. Texas State student Kate Stevens says do simple things, because they can make a difference.
SB: Kate Stevens: "I always make sure I lock my doors, and carry pepper spray when I am out walking my dog"
Residents should also be aware of their apartment's balcony door -- always making sure it's locked or having the safety bar down. Also keep all valuables out of sight to avoid tempting the prowlers.
SB: Chelsie Surley: "Just be aware of your surroundings and make sure you know who your neighbors are"
Standup: "If you live on the first floor, your windows and doors could be a prime target for thieves. One of the easiest and cheapest ways to protect your apartment is to buy one of these little sliding window locks, which you can find at any local hardware store. For Bobcat Update, I'm Lauren Lanmon"

No comments:

Post a Comment