3/12/12

Nicki Schotanus

While other students wait tables or work in retail to help pay for college, one Texas State senior has a different kind of job. Nicki Schotanus (SHOW-TAWN-US) explains, in this Bobcat Update.

He doesn't always get along with the donkeys, but Texas State student Austin Jakle (JAY-KUL) still manages to get his work done.
SB: Austin Jakle
"The baby donkey tried to kick me in the face like a few days after he was born, so he
and I don't see eye to eye, but the rest of them are all right in my
book."
Jakle's father started transforming this donkey barn into what is now known as South Congress Distillery with his business partner three years ago. When Jakle isn't in class, he's at the distillery making rum. Jakle says juggling classes and work can get tough, but he is excited to be learning the family business. He also enjoys the other perks of the job.
SB: Austin Jakle
"It's awesome, I mean I get to make rum
all day and do a lot of taste testing, so that's fun too."
The full schedules have paid off, and White Hat Rum made its debut in stores throughout Texas in February. Owner Mike Jakle is excited to be mixing his skills in sales and craftsmanship while also getting his family involved. He's even started brainstorming ways he can expand the brand.
SB: Mike Jakle
"I've already got a dark rum recipe in
mind right here that I'm gonna develop that as soon as White Hat
gains a little more traction and I'd love it, i'm going to be
distilling for the rest of my life, it's in my blood now."
Austin Jakle has inherited his father's passion and hopes he will be able to make a career out of his college job.
Stand Up: For more information on White Hat Rum, visit their website at white-hat-rum-dot-com. For Bobcat Update, I'm Nicki Schotanus.

No comments:

Post a Comment