10/27/18

Adam Smith

The debate over the Texas voter I-D law is front-and-center as voters cast ballots in a contentious mid-term election. Bobcat Update's Adam Smith has the story.

The Voting Rights Act of 1965 prohibits discriminatory voting laws, but in recent years many states have passed voter I-D laws that some say can suppress voter turnout.
SB
After an appellate court found Texas' voter I-D law discriminatory last year, the legislature passed Senate Bill five. The new law allows voters to use a variety of documents to prove their residency status if they've lost their I-D or have been unable to attain one. Still, opponents of the law say it goes too far.
SB
During a recent debate at the L-B-J Museum in San Marcos, some Texas State students engaged in a spirited back-and-forth on the issue.
SB
Supporters of the voter I-D law don't think it's too much of a burden. Rather, they see it as necessary to ensure the integrity of our democracy.
SB
SU 

No comments:

Post a Comment